Pages

01 January 2010

The Beginning...

"Go confidently into the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've always imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau

My mom gave me a gift with this quote on it a few years ago, when I was back in high school. I frequently find myself returning to it, but I don't think it has ever rung so true to me than right now.


I have finally made my decision to officially apply for graduate school. I've been torn on what to do for so long now...but I have decided that for right now, I am going to work on my Master's degree. And I'm going to do it overseas. In London, also known as: my favorite city in the world.


Holy moly though, this has been a whirlwind of a week. The thought has been running through my mind for a while now -- ever since I got back from my study abroad trip a few months back. I fell in love with that city, and all I could think about was returning. Originally, I figured I wouldn't be making any moves until fall of 2011, but the more I got thinking about it, I decided I should just shoot for next fall. Why wait? Why stay here in Michigan at this job that isn't very much fun, while knowing what I want to do and just waiting for the clock to tick down? Yes, it would be nice to make some more money, but you know...that is what FAFSA is for. I'm lucky enough to not have any debt right now. My parents paid for my undergraduate studies...I think I can afford to go into a little bit of debt for a post-grad degree.


Right now, my biggest enemy is the clock. The two schools I would want to go to don't necessarily have deadlines for applications, but I need to get the FAFSA figured out, get a spot secured, figure out housing, make a decent amount of money, etc.


My second biggest stress is the whole business of getting in to a school in the first place!! Technically, the only "requirement" is to have an "upper second class degree", which means a degree with a GPA higher than 3.6. I had a 3.94. But, I only went to state school. I'm working on writing a kick ass personal statement, so hopefully that can put me over the edge. That is my next project, and what part of today and most of tomorrow will be dedicated to.


Gosh, I love London. I keep looking at my pictures from the trip and other pictures and blogs online, and I just get giddy. The thought that I could possibly be living there in 9 months is just amazing and scary and overwhelming and...did I say amazing? I don't want to get my hopes up. It is hard though.

Well, here is to hoping for success in this for me so this blog can continue to exist for the next 2.5 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment