Pages

06 May 2011

The Royal Wedding

Yes, yes...it was a week ago. I know I'm late, but in case anyone forgot: I'm both very busy and very lazy. It's a bad combination.

However, I'm here now and I'm going to take you on a photographic journey. Well, not really...the photos truly only cover about five hours or so of my life. And there's not a ton of them. But, they're still somewhat interesting, right??

So last Thursday, I basically stayed up all night in anticipation because I had to wake up at the ungodly hour of 5 bells to get ready and bike over to Hyde Park. Yes...you read that correctly: we BIKED. The one thing I swore I would never do in London is ride those silly looking Barclay's bikes through this city that defines absolute chaos. Drivers are literally insane. Not to mention that everything is pretty much backwards to me, due to the whole 'we like to drive on the wrong side of the road' thing they've got going on here. Bottom line: while I love riding a bike, I really don't feel much urge to here in the land of crazies.

However, I was convinced that bikes would be the best way to go, since the tubes and the buses would be crazy around 6:15 a.m. with the city getting ready for the wedding. Fine.


So off we go. We had to go to four, yes FOUR, different docks to find bikes, since the first three were empty or only had duds left. By this time, my friend and I were already concocting a plan to catch a cab instead, but lo and behold, our other friend found a station. We hopped on, and took off...

And I will say, I LOVED IT! We rode on a backstreet on which there was virtually zero traffic, and only got stuck going the wrong way on a one way street twice! It was quite fun, and I'm glad we did it. Although, we ran into more docking issues once we arrived at the park. We had to cycle around in circles for a while trying to find another station to dismount at, which made us a little late to our 6:45 mimosas and breakfast date at Katelyn's, with all of our other friends.

We finally made it.





After a half hour of pigging out and morning drinking (I did not participate...probably a good thing) we headed over to Hyde Park, which is conveniently about a block from K's flat.




Once there, we found a suitable spot to plop our two giant bedsheets down, and settled in for the morning. We got there sufficiently early, so we got a good spot not too far from the giant screen.


Some of us took naps...

While others anxiously awaited the arrivals of the Beckhams and the Princes...


Some drank their weight in cheap champagne...

While others just focused on what food they brought along in their massive purses (ahem, it may have actually only been me)...

Annnd of course, we've got an assortment of random shots throughout the morning.

The crowd growing larger...




And then, badda-boom, badda-bing...they were man (or Future King) and wife (or Princess/Duchess)! Confetti was fired, cheers were yelled, 'God Save the Queen' was sung...

After all that madness, I decided to head book it home to watch the balcony kiss in the comfort of my tiny little room, without the other 200,000+ crazies in Hyde Park. Best. decision. ever. Hyde Park was fun, but five hours was enough for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment