Well, I heard back from my top two schools regarding their deferral options (should the gods decide to perform miracles and I get in). Both schools allow you to defer your admission for one year. SO, if something doesn't work out with the numbers, or I plain just decide to wait the extra year, I'll be able to hold a spot. That's good - if anything happened, I cringe at the thought of having to go through the process of getting referrals and what not again.
I want to go this year. The question is: (well, a: will I get in?) will I be able to? Time will tell. I think they are pretty quick about decision processes over there - I've read the average wait time is 6-8 weeks or so.